Tuesday 4 September 2018

Poem

Sun-dance Surf Break

Running down soft maroon coloured sand.
Lucid sun rising slowly over the horizon.
I jump over sharp obsidian rocks, mussels piercing my skin.
Light blue water reflecting the almost blinding sun into my eyes.
I paddle further out to sea,
arms thrashing to fight the push of the waves,
trying to take me back to shore.
I paddle past the break.
Relief floods my tired body.

I sit and watch the sun rising
higher and higher into the sky like a lost kite.
I see a swell growing in the distance.
It comes closer and closer,
like gigantic turtles rushing towards me.

I paddle
the lip of the wave lifts me up
towards soaring gulls above me.
I turn
slicing the roaring, thundering rush of water
filled with immense power
beneath me.
I pull off the wave
getting small air
as I soar over the top of its large body.
I paddle back out towards the break.
My mates are running down the beach behind me.
Today is gonna be a good day.

Miko Ginivan-Barrow

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Miko,
    As you might know, I attend Panmure Bridge School. I have found your poem very interesting! you have described the maroon colored sand and the sea. You have done a very great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miko It kaleb H From Grey Main School. I like the bit when you say the soft maroon sand you are making sound like Hawaii It and the bit when you say you are jumping over obsidian rocks,muscle piercing my skin you are telling the reader that you are piercing your skin by standing on rocks and muscles. It was really descriptive! Keep up the great work. From Kaleb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shot Kaleb see u round

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.